Re: FYI: Splitfires (fwd)

At 01:35 PM 4/28/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Dammit, this is a lie.  I love my splitfires.
>
>Mannix

>     From elsewhere on the web comes this copy:
>
>     SplitFire Settles FTC Charges:....The owners of SplitFire
>     branded spark plugs have agreed to settle Federal Trade
>     Commission charges that "economy, efficiency and improved
>     performance claims were false or unsubstantiated"  ...An
>     agreement with the FTC bars the company, splitFire inc.
>     (Northbrook Il.), controlled by Old World Trading, "from
>     making deceptive claims about fuel economy,
>     emissions,horsepower, or cost savings...(and) will be barred
>     from misrepresenting the results of tests, studies or
>     research and from misrepresenting testimonials"... the
>     agency alleged that the company "did not possess and rely
>     upon a reasonable basis to support the claims,  that  Split
>     fire's claims that
>     surveys confirm gas mileage increases were false; and that
>     SplitFire did not have a reasonable basis to claim that
>     (its) testimonials... reflect the typical or ordinary
>     experience of customers..."

Uh, I could of told you all that. I dont need any FTC to tell me that
Splitfire spark plugs are junk. Their commercial should of told you
this fact. ("Duh, in my motorscoot-er, duh, in my boat, <drool> in my
car, they gave me more horsie power and gas mileage. I really felt the
diff-er-ence....") Can you say, marketing scheme? How about, scam??
Splitting a single wide tip into 2 tips, at an angle over the center
electrode does'nt do anything special. The spark will use the shortest
route, no matter what, so, how is that partictular plug gonna add
performance and power over other plugs which have 3 prongs or 4? I just
never could see how it could work. It was a $5 per plug SCAM, nothing
more, everything less. Whats actually funny are those who used them,
and (In the NG) swear by them. Just another lesson of (Psych 101) human
nature, "wanting to believe in something that simply is not".

Im my mind, the company is nothing worse than all of these oul additive
companies that would like us all to think their snake oil will actually
make our engines work better, last longer and take more abuses. Well,
lemme tell you something, they're all full of crap too, just like
Splitfire Inc.

Commercials are nothing more than deception tools to make us, the
buying public, think we're getting some kind of amazing product for
$19.95 + shipping and handling. Dont believe anything you read, unless
its from a reputable first hand experience or from consumer reports.
Even then, be skeptical. I prefer to be shown numbers, on or from a
dyno, and NOT from the company thats selling the product. Eventually,
if the company is telling a big enough lie about their product claims,
somebody is gonna do what was done to Splitfire Inc.

Wheres my damned COFFEE!

Shawn