Re: Fwd: Need advice (engine swaps)

At 11:55 AM 4/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-04-27 11:35:01 EDT, FREE41 writes:
> I currently own a 77 scirocco and I am trying to make a decision on what
>type of  engine setup to go with.  I thought about a G60 swap,but I'm
>thinking with that engine no longer in production replacement parts such as
>the supercharger may become scarce and expensive in the near future. I think
>my best options may be a 2.1 16v or as ridiculous as it may sound a VR6.  If
>you guys had the car and the cash what would you do?  Thanks.

Its OK to dream! Dreaming is cool! OK, under your options of plenty of cash and
your 77', I think my first choice would have to be a VR6 turbo stuffed under the
hood. Im not talking just the motor, I mean the tranny as all of the newer
wiring that goes with the motor to replace the inherantly crappy wiring on the
early Scirocco's.In addition, id reinforce the front chassis area to keep the
incredible 350hp from tearing up the chassis. Theres much more to my idea of the
"Ultimate" Scirocco, but im not gonna get into it.

My second choice would have to be, probably a 2.1L 16V Turbo. Ya, again I go wit
ha Turbo, but at this point in the game, a Turbo is gonna be more reliable in
the long run. If were still playing with the idea that money is no option, I
would still pick a Turbo over a G60 mainly because of longevity issues with the
G60. G60's are getting harder to get, (More expensive than a Turbo, new or
rebuilt) almost nobody services G60' chargers. In addition, you can get more
ultimate performance from a Turbo, especially since money is not an issue. On
the financially milder side, the Turbo is still a much better choice.

Now, if your on a budget, (Who aint!) A G60 is a viable option. It has its own
faults, but it also comes with the 160HP that most mild 16V's dont. If you know
the right person, you can get a complete G60 with wiring and everything you will
need to do the swap for around $2500, shipped!

Im kinda mildly looking into finding myself a $500 80-81 Scirocco "S" for a
possible G60 install project. I figure a completed streetable car can be built
for around $3500? Completed for about $8,000. I figure it would still be a
better car than any new car. (And most everything would be NEW and NO car
payment!!)

Shawn