Re: Fwd: Need advice (engine swaps)

Solh Zendeh wrote:

> > I thought you had to get a 2.0 manifold for clearance if you wanted to
> > upgrade from 1.8 to 2.1.  If it's just an upgrade to 2.0, you can get
> > away with just bolting up the bottom end but I'm not sure about the 2.1.
> > Does anyone know for sure?
> >
> Are you talking about the intake or exhaust? As far as I know there is a
> minimal difference, and the 2.0 should make it in ok - maybe with a little
> fooling with the exhaust so it won't bang around. The 2.1 is a 2.0 with a new
> crank and new pistons (I thought) and shouldn't have different outside
> dimensions.  I'm considering the 2.1 for my 87 but I'm wondering how much the
> short block will be - I wonder if anyone has an idea of the price, anyone?
> Also, I've been told that you should go for a cleaned up head and free flow
> exhaust at the very least or you may be disappointed with the result of all
> that hard work.  Anyway, good luck, and let us know what you're doing and how
> it progresses - I'm sure many of us would like to know. sz

Hi Solh,

I meant the intake. If the 2.1 is a stroker (longer connecting rods),
would the standard manifold on a 1.8 suffice?  I mean, would it mean a
couple pistons shooting through the 1.8 manifold without proper
clearance?  I know the 2.1 is really a drilled 2.0 but I figured that
longer rods were installed to make the compression (???) higher.  Are
the 2.0 intake manifolds identical to the 1.8 or are they slightly
larger?  50mm?  Clue me here!

Steph