Re: Tranny Problems.

At 09:48 AM 4/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I posted a message a few days ago about a tranny problem that occuried
>with an 87 Scirocco (8v).  I spoke to a few different people at the
>dealership and other mechanics and the said that the tranny should
>be replaced.  But the cost that they are talking is very large.
>My only other option is to get ride of the car, but I do not want
>to do that just as yet.  Can the work be done myself.  And if so.

What did the dealer tell you was wrong with your tranny??

>1. Should a transmission swap be needed?

Maybe, if you cant do it, or have a freind who can help you, then that would be
the next option.

>2. Can the old transmisson be rebuilt?

Sure, depending on whats wrong with it will determine whether or not its worth
it.

>3. With swapping the tranny, can any other a2 VW tranny be used in
>   its place?

Yup.

>4. Or just do and entire engine and tranny swap?

No, you can use most any A2 tranny. Just note that there are close ratio boxes
and wide ratio boxes. So theres yet another option for you.

>Any suggestion will help greatly, Thanks for everything.
>Kilimanjaro

Glad to help, if I can. Id like to know whaats the deal with your tranny

Shawn