Tranny Problems.

I posted a message a few days ago about a tranny problem that occuried
with an 87 Scirocco (8v).  I spoke to a few different people at the
dealership and other mechanics and the said that the tranny should
be replaced.  But the cost that they are talking is very large.
My only other option is to get ride of the car, but I do not want
to do that just as yet.  Can the work be done myself.  And if so.

1. Should a transmission swap be needed?
2. Can the old transmisson be rebuilt?
3. With swapping the tranny, can any other a2 VW tranny be used in
   its place?
4. Or just do and entire engine and tranny swap?

Any suggestion will help greatly,
Thanks for everything.

Kilimanjaro