Fuel starting problem

I own a 1986 VW scirocco 16v.  A month ago I tried to start my car and
 it ran for 3 seconds. I then tried to start it again (about five tries)
and it would not start.  The starter was cranking fine.  I waited 2 hours
and it started fine with no problems.  Since then I have had no problems
until today.  I have noticed that I do not hear that familiar buzz when I
turn the key, all I hear is a click, then the starter.  Can anyone give
me any suggestions to help.

thanks,

Brian