Re: !@#!*@! Road Sand!!!

> What do you folks (that have winters) do for protection against the road
> sand that's dumped during winter???

Here in West Virginia, the road crews try to deplete a year's worth of salt with
every snow!  To make matters worse, the mix it with some kind of *cinders* and
gravel, not sand.

What I do for protection is basically just wash and wax the damn thing at every
opportunity.  I try to build up a good coat of wax during the summer and every time
it's at least fifty degrees through the winter.  I take the car to a spray wash and
spend lots of time spraying the fenderwells and the floorpan.

It also helps a lot not to have very many things like fender flares and so forth;
road gunk gets up in there and just stays, creating rust in invisible places.  Even
worse, every time it rains, those places get wet, speeding the action of salt even
more.

Not much can be done about the windshield, as far as I know.  I use Rain-X all the
time, which seems to help it stay cleaner.  I'm sure that sand and stuff cuts right
through it, though.

And to think I used to wish W. Va. would use sand instead of salt!

Carlee
clfitz@citynet.net

Carl Fitzgerald's Photography