Re: Impulse+my opinions (long impulse!)

At 02:29 AM 4/12/97 -0400, you wrote:

>        I would be afraid that if they did do articles like Hot Rod, EC
>would screw it up by getting info on their stereo or something.  Plus I
>don't think they 75% of the cars in EC have the work performed by the people
>who own the car.  They bring it to Ron's Parts or something..  I have this
>thing about having to do the work on my car myself.  Don't get me wrong when
>I don't have time and really need the work done I have my friend who is a
>mechanic do it.  But I do the mods.  Thats how you personalize the car..

Id say 100% of the cars featured in their articles have had most all of the
work done by a shop! What-r-u-kidding? The only cars that have been mostly done
by the owners are the 2 pages of the "Personals". Thems the only 2 pages of
true "owner pride" in the whole damn mag.

I have more interest in owners who get dirty on their own cars as well. Who
better to know exactly when the left rear wheel bearing got a tiny bit loose
while driving straight doen the highway? Damn straight, somebody who has gotten
his/her hands on every single part on the car. Its that kind of owner that I
can share with in ownership pride. Not the guy who took his car to Rons parts
and knows Ron intimately.

Mostly in mags like Hot Rod (Just using them as an example) they tend to do a
feature on a car that has been to many different shops. In something like a
complete custom car, thats pretty much neccessary to get that kind of quality.
Most everything is custom fabricated for a custom fit. Im sure our own Scirocco
Showcar owner has done some of the same kind of stuff. Its understandable. BUT,
at the same time, most of the cars in EC are either Daily driven, or at least
-driven-, not complete showcars like in other mags. I dunno about most of you,
but im not much into spending $30,000 on my daily driver to make it *look* like
a showcar. Looks are important, sure. Performance and function are more
important, to me.

>        I didn't realize they never finished the tests..  I will have to
>reread it to see.

Yup, check it.
re-read trhe last 4 or so paragraphs. Its a kind of an oh-well, who cares
ending.

>Not all items, eh?  Let me quote.
>" 8.1 Spec parts purchase:  All spec parts must be purchased through
>specific vendors to be eligible for prize money.."
>"8.2  Required components: These suppliers are the sole source for
>certain required components.  (Guess who)
>New Dimensions ...
>
>Now how do you get a plural "suppliers" when the only place listed
>is ND?
>READ BOGUS!  EC devoted 6 flipping pages to this thing and probably
>1/6 of their readers can see or participate in it.

Well, actually there were 2 listed. ND and American International Motorsports.
Now, Required Vendors mean that in order for you, the racer, to win prize
and/or contingency money, you have to use these parts (Namely Beilstein and
Toyo Tire) and have their sticker on your car. Thats all that means. You can
buy your engine/suspension/body parts from anybody you want to.

Now, as far as the 6 devoted pages go, if you take away all the pictures of the
pace car <YAWN!> and the advertezements, its more like maybe 3 pages. Even
still, they did nothing more than copy the rulebook! The only enlightenment
they did was the little 5 paragraph write up they did before they pasted the
rules on the pages. Most of that was a rerun of what your gonna read in the
rules anyways!!!!

Well, maybe 1/6 of the readers can participate in the racing, but I bet the
realistic numbers of those who would like to actually participate in it is
:)

Shawn