Re: Impulse+my opinions (long impulse!)

At 12:05 AM 4/11/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I agree that EC has for the most part, turned into a big info-mag-ercial,
>some of the things they show are somewhat interesting. The articles on how
>Rons parts snuffed a VR6 into a Austin Mini <pun> are nothing more than
>advertizement AND a reason to talk about the cars and have some technical
>knowhow explain to the writers how its done.
>I kinda wish they would do some articles more like Hot Rod mag does, where
>they go to some guys home and interview him as to how he built his project
>and get more insight to the history of the car, that type of thing. Alot of
>their articles and features are more artistic than mechanical in aspect. A
>Chevy is a Chevy and a Ford is a Ford but make it unique somehow and thats
>where the charm is.

        I would be afraid that if they did do articles like Hot Rod, EC
would screw it up by getting info on their stereo or something.  Plus I
don't think they 75% of the cars in EC have the work performed by the people
who own the car.  They bring it to Ron's Parts or something..  I have this
thing about having to do the work on my car myself.  Don't get me wrong when
I don't have time and really need the work done I have my friend who is a
mechanic do it.  But I do the mods.  Thats how you personalize the car..

>The article of the 350+ hp VR6 is great (Well, havent read it yet but I will)
>in that its the newest VW technology out there. EC fails to keep in mind that
>the older 1.8L and 2.0L motors are still the mainstay and still the most used
>powerplant in the world of VW enthusiasts. (Im talking watercooled) I think
>the futire IS the VR6, but the mainstay will be the I-4 engine for a long
>time to come. While EC still does stories of the I-4 engines, the stories are
>incomplete and really lack any kind of depth other than specs from a dyno
><yawn> and knowing what each rod <sigh> weighed.

        Yes, the 4 cylinders are the way to go.  There are TONS of these
motors and they all will need help.  Why not a tech article (a complete one)
that outlines a rebuild giving tips and the like?? I would buy that. My
favorite part of the magazine is the Tech Section.  But lately it is so
short it isn't worth it.  Most of the letters are about people writing in to
correct the errors published in the mag!  I liked it when the magazine was
VW&Porsche.

>Another bitch of mine with EC is not just the articles of feature vehicles
>but also the tech articles. My most vivid blunder they has was the brake test
>they did with Velocity. (I dont know if any of you remember that one or not.
>or, simply dont care...) They had to stop their testing because the police
>ran them off from their testing area. They never got to finish testing ALL of
>the brake pads they brought to be tested! So.........WTF, over?? You would
>think that before they published the article that they would maybe....oh..I
>dunno.... finish the damn test maybe, huh?? Ya think???

        I didn't realize they never finished the tests..  I will have to
reread it to see.

>Now, on the GTi cup thing. There is a reason that the competators have to use
>certain parts on their cars. The idea is to make all the cars exactly the
>same, or as close as they can get them. Not all the items are bought
>from Neuspeed. Some of them are to be bought from New Dimensions, which, have
>a big say in this partictular series. Its not like they're using the best
>parts for racing either! For crying out loud, WTF was Tim thinking when he
>said they gotta use Mintex pads! I thought they wanted it to be
>safe/fun/competative? Not with them pads they're not! NOPE.

        Not all items, eh?  Let me quote.
        " 8.1 Spec parts purchase:  All spec parts must be purchased through
specific vendors to be eligible for prize money.."
        "8.2  Required components: These suppliers are the sole source for
certain required components.  (Guess who)
        New Dimensions ...

        Now how do you get a plural "suppliers" when the only place listed
is ND?
        READ BOGUS!  EC devoted 6 flipping pages to this thing and probably
1/6 of their readers can see or participate in it.

>Ahhh, thanks guys, im feeling much better. I had a bad week (well, all but
>about 5 hours were bad, right Mannix?) and just needed to spout off a few
>things. Speak my mind a bit. Exercize the ol' fingers with some tappy-ta
>ppy on the keyboard.

        Yah we're here for yah.

>Yak-Yak-Yak.....
>

>Shawn