Re: MkII Wide Body Kits/8" wheels??Tire Size

> >It like it too but 8" wide wheels is kinda funky
>
> Josh and others, I'm wondering something.  Are these the kits which use
> staggered wheel sizes front and rear?  I seem to remember reading of a
> Scirocco with some absurdly wide rear tires, and normalish front tires.  I
> wondered at the time about that - not from a visual standpoint, as I can
> see why some might like that look.  I am curious about the performance
> issue - using a wider rear tire on an A1 is going to do nothing productive
> for handling - do the kits in question (Zender, Rieger) use a wider rear
> tire than front?  I realize that handling isn't everything (maybe I don't
> *realize* this, but I try), but to spend thousands on wheels, fiberglass
> and paint to *decrease* the performance potential of a car is beyond me.
> Not a flame in the least, hoping that these kits use 8" wheels front and
> rear.  Just curious.

The Rieger GTO/Competition kit uses a 8" front rim and a 10" back
rim. tire sizes are 245-45 and 285-40 respectively. yes that's quite
absurd..and only Yoko makes the 285 in a 15" rim, so if they stop
production i'm SOL. Although the back tire contact patch isn't that
large of a factor as the front, with the kit you at least need the
wheel to fill the well, or it's going to look pretty stupid having
the fender flare out 5" from the tire. Not all of us are going for
performance potential..you certainly won't find me driving this car
around the autox track...it's all in the name of show.

As far as handeling..I don't see how a wider tire can hinder
performance? i associate (> contact patch) = (> handeling)
eventhough its a fwd car...around turns it's always good to have the
most rubber down getting traction...decrease the rear from the chance of
slipping.

Ryan
..all in all it's going to look 'cool'

much i'd think.