Re: MkII Wide Body Kits/8" wheels??Tire Size

>The Rieger GTO/Competition kit uses a 8" front rim and a 10" back
>rim. tire sizes are 245-45 and 285-40 respectively........ Not all of us
>are going for performance potential.

This is good:).

.you certainly won't find me driving this car
>around the autox track...it's all in the name of show.

Hell, autocross it!!  Nothing to hit but cones!  I've hit TONS of cones, at
speeds up to 80mph, and have only one ding to show for it.  The occasional
autocross won't hurt it.

>As far as handeling..I don't see how a wider tire can hinder
>performance? i associate (> contact patch) = (> handeling)

Yes and no.  In this case, NO.  Wider in the rear will make the car
understeer MORE, which is bad.  There are people who use narrower tires in
the rear to increase oversteer.  I don't agree with that method, either,
but it makes more sense.  Even though VWs lift a rear wheel, they still
understeer horribly - with careful spring/swaybar selection, you can reduce
understeer, but not that much.

>eventhough its a fwd car...around turns it's always good to have the
>most rubber down getting traction...decrease the rear from the chance of
>slipping.

It doesn't slip as it is.  It can, if you do (not you, not looking for a
flamewar) something stupid, the rear can step out (brake in a corner), but
as a rule, the VW does not oversteer.  Could you put 10s on the front?
Would that ruin the look you're after?  I wonder about the VWs power
capability to turn a 285, though.  Dunno.

>Ryan
>..all in all it's going to look 'cool'

That said, great!  It will have a unique appearance!

Mannix