What the heck is that, Bubba?

Mornin' Rocconians,
  I finally delved into my 84 scirroco project car the other night.  First
order of business: clean up the fuel system that sat for 3 years with 6-7
gallons of what at one point was gas ;-).  The tank is slam full of
miscellaneous spludge (varnish, rust etc...).   My plan (unless someone tells
me they've tried this and it doesn't work) is to take the tank to a radiator
shop and let them boil it out and seal the inside of it with some sort of
epoxy compound.
  Anyway, in the process of dropping the tank, among other things there were
two small hoses (say 1/2") that ran from the tank to a little gizmo that
resides up near the fuel filler tube inside the fender well.  It appears to
be some sort of one-way valve that allows air into the gas tank as the fuel
level drops.  Well, the plasic that the hoses attach to was quite brittle
and I broke it (damn ;-().  Now I need a replacement, but I don't know what the
thing is.  So, WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING?  I hate going to a parts place/junk
yard and asking for "that lil' thangamabob that sits up near the fuel filler".
Please help me save face on this.
  One last question...  Is it possible to soak a fuel accumulater to clean the
spludge out of it or will carb cleaner screw it up?  Anyone ever tried that?
			Thanks for any tips!
				Arthur

ps  Please copy me direct on your response as I get the digest at work and
    will not get to read it again until monday.
--
Arthur L. Hunt                       SAS Institute Inc
snoalh@unx.sas.com                   (919) 677-8000 x6876