Re: Impulse+my opinions (long impulse!)

At 08:30 PM 4/10/97 -0400, you guys wrote:

>>BTW is everybody as sick as I am of reading EC's "new article" about how
>>Ron's Parts shoehorned a nitrous VR6 with JATO rocket assist into a Polo or
>>Fox?  Come on!  How about an article on balancing a car's handling like
>> --snipage----
>>  Show a zillion pictures of the Moospeed
>>pace car which happens to cost around 22 grand.  How about an frigging
actual
>>race rabbit you schmucks?  I can get this kind of bullpuckey from Hot Rod
>>magazine.  VW is the people's car, EC should wake up and realize not
everyone
>>has a truckload of VR6 engines and A3 bodies, along with a couple of months
>>off work to wrench.
>>
>>Jim
>>1987 Scirocco 16valve (paid $300...yea, I LOOKED)
>
>        Right on Jim,  EC is turning to Neuspeed are Us.  They are just one
>big ad for Neuspeed.  I think that the new/old Rabbit series is fantastic,
>but did you see how certain key items must be bought from Neuspeed.  Thats a
>rip off.  SCCA isn't that expensive and you don't have to buy from a certain
>dealer..  If you want prize money from that certain dealer you use their
>products if not it is each to their own.
>
>					DOM!

I agree that EC has for the most part, turned into a big info-mag-ercial,
some of the things they show are somewhat interesting. The articles on how
Rons parts snuffed a VR6 into a Austin Mini <pun> are nothing more than
advertizement AND a reason to talk about the cars and have some technical
knowhow explain to the writers how its done.
I kinda wish they would do some articles more like Hot Rod mag does, where
they go to some guys home and interview him as to how he built his project
and get more insight to the history of the car, that type of thing. Alot of
their articles and features are more artistic than mechanical in aspect. A
Chevy is a Chevy and a Ford is a Ford but make it unique somehow and thats
where the charm is.

The article of the 350+ hp VR6 is great (Well, havent read it yet but I will)
in that its the newest VW technology out there. EC fails to keep in mind that
the older 1.8L and 2.0L motors are still the mainstay and still the most used
powerplant in the world of VW enthusiasts. (Im talking watercooled) I think
the futire IS the VR6, but the mainstay will be the I-4 engine for a long
time to come. While EC still does stories of the I-4 engines, the stories are
incomplete and really lack any kind of depth other than specs from a dyno
<yawn> and knowing what each rod <sigh> weighed.

Another bitch of mine with EC is not just the articles of feature vehicles
but also the tech articles. My most vivid blunder they has was the brake test
they did with Velocity. (I dont know if any of you remember that one or not.
or, simply dont care...) They had to stop their testing because the police
ran them off from their testing area. They never got to finish testing ALL of
the brake pads they brought to be tested! So.........WTF, over?? You would
think that before they published the article that they would maybe....oh..I
dunno.... finish the damn test maybe, huh?? Ya think???

Now, on the GTi cup thing. There is a reason that the competators have to use
certain parts on their cars. The idea is to make all the cars exactly the
same, or as close as they can get them. Not all the items are bought
from Neuspeed. Some of them are to be bought from New Dimensions, which, have
a big say in this partictular series. Its not like they're using the best
parts for racing either! For crying out loud, WTF was Tim thinking when he
said they gotta use Mintex pads! I thought they wanted it to be
safe/fun/competative? Not with them pads they're not! NOPE.

Ahhh, thanks guys, im feeling much better. I had a bad week (well, all but
about 5 hours were bad, right Mannix?) and just needed to spout off a few
things. Speak my mind a bit. Exercize the ol' fingers with some tappy-ta
ppy on the keyboard.

Yak-Yak-Yak.....

Shawn