Re: ras a fras a fric a fram!!! gabbagook! @#$#^%@#$$%!

At 08:31 PM 4/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>> --big Snippage--
>>  AUGH  That stupid crankshaft
>>seal.  I replaced it but obviously not good enough. The damn Bently doesn't

>>even mention
>>it!  I pulled the old one out and Jay made this neat press which pushed the

>>seal in.  It was
>>flush with the edge of the engine just like the old seal and looked fine.
>>Did I do something
>>wrong??  Did I need to grease it or something?  I don't want to drop the
>>trans tomorrow but
>it looks like I'm on my own.  I can't afford to have the dealer do it.
>>Thanks for letting me
>>vent.

>>Damn man, sorry to hear of your woes. I can relate tho.
>>My question is this, did you remove the seal housing to replace the seal,
or
>>did you just work it into the housing, on the motor? If so, it could of
been
>>the oil pan gasket not sealing properly or even the gasket is now bad.
>>Just for my info, How did you install the seal, exactly.

>>The only other thing I can think of is you put the seal in backwards. it
will
>>leak a bit, different to everyones story, but I really don't think it would

>>leak as severe as your description of it. Unless you somehow punctured the
>>seal while putting it in. <Shrug>

>>When I rebuilt my JH motor, I installed the crankshaft seal off the motor
with
>>the use of a couple 2X4 scraps and a bench vice. I'd compress the seal into

>>the housing a bit, loosen the vice, rotate the housing 1/4 turn and
compress
>>the seal again, slowly working the seal into the housing. Patience, or you
can
>>easily force a seal to leak for you.
>>HTH

>>Shawn

   I beleive if you read your "bible" then you probably took the seal housing
off in order to install the new seal.  As Shawn said, it is easy to tap in
with some patience.  Did you replace the gasket that goes between the housing
and the block???  I'd also suspect the oil pan gasket to be a very likely
cause.

-->DAN MAY
-->8716V Scirocco
-->83 gti