Re: ras a fras a fric a fram!!! gabbagook! @#$#^%@#$$%!

At 08:31 PM 4/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
> --big Snippage--
>  AUGH  That stupid crankshaft
>seal.  I replaced it but obviously not good enough. The damn Bently doesn't
even mention
>it!  I pulled the old one out and Jay made this neat press which pushed the
seal in.  It was
>flush with the edge of the engine just like the old seal and looked fine.
Did I do something
>wrong??  Did I need to grease it or something?  I don't want to drop the
trans tomorrow but
>it looks like I'm on my own.  I can't afford to have the dealer do it.
Thanks for letting me
>vent.

Damn man, sorry to hear of your woes. I can relate tho.
My question is this, did you remove the seal housing to replace the seal, or
did you just work it into the housing, on the motor? If so, it could of been
the oil pan gasket not sealing properly or even the gasket is now bad.
Just for my info, How did you install the seal, exactly.

The only other thing I can think of is you put the seal in backwards. it will
leak a bit, different to everyones story, but I really don't think it would
leak as severe as your description of it. Unless you somehow punctured the
seal while putting it in. <Shrug>

When I rebuilt my JH motor, I installed the crankshaft seal off the motor with
the use of a couple 2X4 scraps and a bench vice. I'd compress the seal into
the housing a bit, loosen the vice, rotate the housing 1/4 turn and compress
the seal again, slowly working the seal into the housing. Patience, or you can
easily force a seal to leak for you.
HTH

Shawn