Re: ras a fras a fric a fram!!! gabbagook! @#$#^%@#$$%!

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Josh Clark wrote:

> seal.  I replaced it but obviously not good enough.  The damn Bently
doesn't even mention
> it!  I pulled the old one out and Jay made this neat press which
pushed the seal in.  It was
> flush with the edge of the engine just like the old seal and looked
fine.  Did I do something
> wrong??  Did I need to grease it or something?  I don't want to drop

Well, I had to put in a new tranny last month, so I also changed the
crankshaft seal. Usually one needs the right size tool to press the seals
in. Well, in the case of the crankshaft seal all you need is your hands.
You grease the sides (inner and outer) a little bit, and then you simply
push it in very gently. It is not a tight fit like the final drive seals.
My roommate did this more than a year ago, and both his car and my car
show no signs of engine-oil leaks. You might have pushed it in too far, I
don't know. If you say it was flush with the engine then there shouldn't
have been a problem. Strange.

Hmmm, now something else just struck me: you first take the screws off to
be able to remove the metal cover that holds the seal inside it. You
remove the old seal and then slide the new seal in. Then there is a
slightly tricky part where you must put the metal cover back, and then the
inside of the seal must slide around the crankshaft. The tricky part is
that the inside lip of the seal is pointed towards the engine, but as you
slide it in it naturally gets bent and as a result points towards the
tranny. Then you need to wiggle the whole thing a bit until the inner lip
gets properly redirected towards the engine. Maybe that was the problem?
I am only guessing, I could be totally wrong.

Ilias