Re: History question

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Benton Yoshida wrote:

> A zillion or so questions follow:
>
> I've heard that the Giugiaro penned Piazza, AKA Isuzu Impulse was the
> original design for the Mk.2 Scirocco until it was nixed for an in-house
> design.  I find the production Mk.2 to look very similar to the Impulse.
> Which design existed first?  Was one influenced by the other?  Why did VW
> decide to go with their own design?  I believe the Impulse has a rear wheel
> drive chassis derived from the Chevy Chevette.  Was the 2nd gen Scirocco
> originally slated to go rear wheel drive?  Anybody have the straight dope
> on this story?

It is true, I found a web site that talked about Guigario's designs, and
the Impulse design was first submitted to VW for the MKII Rocco....I don't
know about the drive train thing though...

> I hope this doesn't get me punted off the list but I find the Impulse to
> look more exotic and better than the Scirocco, especially the earlier ones
> with the partial pop-up headlights and the 12 square hole wheels.  Were any
> of the later, turboed, and Lotus-massaged cars decent performers?
>
> b-------

Sure, they perform well, if you like a car that has the tendancy to fire
its spark plugs through the hood....(turbo model, they just slapped on a
turbo and didn't drop the compression ratio....Isuzu's suck
ass..especially the old ones.....)  I had the chance to ride in their
small 4door sedan(I can't remember name) but it was a late 80's model with
the little badge that said "handling by lotus", am that sucker cornered
extremly well for having stock suspension....

Just my advise, stick to VW's....I've heard to many horror stories over
the years about Isuzu motors........

Eric
AKA I\Iight Shado\/\/