Re: History question

At 01:08 AM 4/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>A zillion or so questions follow:
>
>I've heard that the Giugiaro penned Piazza, AKA Isuzu Impulse was the
>original design for the Mk.2 Scirocco until it was nixed for an in-house
>design.  I find the production Mk.2 to look very similar to the Impulse.
>Which design existed first?

This is my understanding of the car. I've only heard/read info from the net on
this topic so, here goes:
The car now known as the "Impulse" was either to be the next generation Scirocco
<MK III> OR it was going to be the first A2 Scirocco. I've never really gotten a
clear definate anwser on that but I sopose either can be correct in the
automotive industry. So, to anwser your first question, the Scirocco came first.
(it was neither the chicken, nor the egg!)

> Was one influenced by the other?

As stated before, it was intended to be the next evolution of the Scirocco.

>Why did VW decide to go with their own design?

its my understanding they went with the Corrado instead. WTF were they thinking,
then again, VW is not really known for making GREAT choice decisions and sticking
with it, are they.

> I believe the Impulse has a rear wheel drive chassis derived from the
>Chevy Chevette.  Was the 2nd gen Scirocco originally slated to go rear
>wheel drive?

Anything is possible when your stuck in the design phase of a model build up.
There was infinate amount of configurations available for the car then. it just
happened that the design was bought and built by Isuzu. At least it got made, I
kinda like the looks of tha car, other than that cheezy tail light assy and the
funky droopy headlight config.

>Anybody have the straight dope on this story?

Wheres the Potterman, I bet hes got ALL the Dope on this item!

>I hope this doesn't get me punted off the list but I find the Impulse to
>look more exotic and better than the Scirocco, especially the earlier ones
>with the partial pop-up headlights and the 12 square hole wheels.  Were any
>of the later, turboed, and Lotus-massaged cars decent performers?

"Heres the snap........ and its.... OHHHH, BLOCKED KICK! Benton recovers on the
lists own 10 yard line"!
Hey man, good quesations, its funny you came up with these since it yesterday
that I was parked right next to one and had to really look at the differences in
the 2 cars. The wheelbase is about the same. They look like definate cousins,
thats for sure. The front end comes down lower then my MK-II does. I like it, I
wish there was ways to use some of the so called "upgrades" of the Impulse on my
Scirocco. Then again, I like my car just fine.

Yak-yak.

Shawn