Re: History question

Benton Yoshida wrote:

> A zillion or so questions follow:
>
> I've heard that the Giugiaro penned Piazza, AKA Isuzu Impulse was the
> original design for the Mk.2 Scirocco until it was nixed for an in-house
> design.

>It's hard to know what exactly was going on in the minds of the VW
>designers
>when they concocted the Mk2, but here are some facts:
>scirocco@speed-racer.com
>'88 Scirocco 16V

You got some good information. I know what was in there heads. The Inpulse
is more like the design that GG wanted. This is the start of the story. GG
designed 4 cars called the "ACE" series. The first was for Audi in 1973,
the second in 1976 was for BMW " Asso di Quadri". The third was VW and the
forth was the Impulse or Piazza "Ase of Club". All the cars were designed
in silver. The BMW design was sponsored by Karmann and was very close to
the Scirocco. Sone thought the design was stolen. VW wanted a 2+2 front
wheel drive and GG did not want the 2+2. The Scirocco 2 is significantly
more round and its side view reflects a radically different concept in
packaging, a real 2+2. GG had been consulting with VW on facelifts. The new
design was to be a VW design with fixed proportions on paper by Giugiaro
and would have improved aerodynamics, reduced lift, and more head room at
the rear.

I have two books on the subject and I would like to talk to you about it
sometime.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco.