History question

A zillion or so questions follow:

I've heard that the Giugiaro penned Piazza, AKA Isuzu Impulse was the
original design for the Mk.2 Scirocco until it was nixed for an in-house
design.  I find the production Mk.2 to look very similar to the Impulse.
Which design existed first?  Was one influenced by the other?  Why did VW
decide to go with their own design?  I believe the Impulse has a rear wheel
drive chassis derived from the Chevy Chevette.  Was the 2nd gen Scirocco
originally slated to go rear wheel drive?  Anybody have the straight dope
on this story?

I hope this doesn't get me punted off the list but I find the Impulse to
look more exotic and better than the Scirocco, especially the earlier ones
with the partial pop-up headlights and the 12 square hole wheels.  Were any
of the later, turboed, and Lotus-massaged cars decent performers?

b-------