Re: History question

Benton Yoshida wrote:

> A zillion or so questions follow:
>
> I've heard that the Giugiaro penned Piazza, AKA Isuzu Impulse was the
> original design for the Mk.2 Scirocco until it was nixed for an in-house
> design.  I find the production Mk.2 to look very similar to the Impulse.
> Which design existed first?  Was one influenced by the other?  Why did VW
> decide to go with their own design?  I believe the Impulse has a rear wheel
> drive chassis derived from the Chevy Chevette.  Was the 2nd gen Scirocco
> originally slated to go rear wheel drive?  Anybody have the straight dope
> on this story?
>
> I hope this doesn't get me punted off the list but I find the Impulse to
> look more exotic and better than the Scirocco, especially the earlier ones
> with the partial pop-up headlights and the 12 square hole wheels.  Were any
> of the later, turboed, and Lotus-massaged cars decent performers?
>
> b-------
O.k. I'll bite, excuse the length of the following

It's hard to know what exactly was going on in the minds of the VW
designers
when they concocted the Mk2, but here are some facts:
- in 1976 Giugaro put out a show car at the Turin International auto
show that
  was superficially similar to the later Mk2 Scirocco especially in its
roof
  treatment but it was a more angular car in profile (somewhat like the
old impulse
  is a bit more wedgy in profile than the Mk2).
- VW had 5 short-listed proposals for the Mk2 Scirocco. Giugaro
submitted 2 and
  VW design led by Herbert Schafer submitted 3. Other designers like the
  highly individualistic german desginer Luigi Colani submitted designs,
but they
  didn't make the cut.
- To make the pick of the crop democratic, all designs were painted the
same colour
  and finished to the same standards, and the committee at VW
responsible for picking
  the Mk2 were not told who was responsible for each design.
The winner was the Mk2 as we know it (obviously!) as it best satisfied
VW's brief
in terms of improved aerodynamics with reduced lift, best use of
interior space
for both luggage and passengers (I wish I had a few more inches of
headroom in
my Sunroof equipped Mk2!) and attractive styling, while having to work
with
the constraints of the A1 chassis.

Thats all I know about the history of the Giugaro v.s. VW story.
Reference for the above
is Ian Kuah's book "VW Power and Style", 1991.

As to my personal opinion, I find the Scirocco Mk2 to be a better looker
than the
mid-late 80's impulse. But then again I'm VW enthusiast and IMHO, YMMV,
but the Scirocco Mk2 look well...european especially with the stock 16V
kit
and european bumpers ;), while the impulse looks japanese (not that
there's anything wrong with that, but my tastes are finicky).
The Turbo impulse of the 1986 era was a decent performer with 140
horsepower on tap
with a 2 liter intercooled turbo FI engine. But even with all those
ponies, it was
no match for the 16V Mk2 !! Although I've never raced one, Road and
Track called it
8.5 sec 0-60 for the Impulse (1985 or 1986) and 7.7 sec (Wow..anyone
beat that with their
stock 16V?) for the Scirocco 16V (August 1986 issue). Turbo impulse
weighed in at
a lard-assedly 2880 lbs curb weight v.s. 2365 for the 16V. The Scirocco
in stock 16V form could easily outhandle the impulse. All that and the
Scirocco was $12-13K US depending on options but the Impulse was
$14-15K. I'm sure the Non-giugaro Scirocco 16V stole many customers from
Isuzu in markets where both were sold. Comparing the Turbo to the 8V
Scirocco now wouldn't be fair as the Impulse was priced quite a bit
more.
While the fastest new VW's (VR6's) are quite pricey these days, the 80's
VW's were actually a decent bargain!

---
scirocco@speed-racer.com
'88 Scirocco 16V