16v spark help

I put the "coil" wire next to a piece of metal and I could about 3/4
of an inch of spark.  When I did the same with the spark plug wires
the only way I could get a spark was if I put the spark plug less
than a mm away from the metal.  This was the same through all the
wires.

The question is...
    Should the spark be the same lenth from the coil wire through all
    the spark plug wires?
    And if not does barely a milimeter sound like enough to start the
    car?

                                      Jay
'80 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v