Re: 16v spark help

Jay Docherty wrote:

> I put the "coil" wire next to a piece of metal and I could about 3/4
> of an inch of spark.  When I did the same with the spark plug wires
> the only way I could get a spark was if I put the spark plug less
> than a mm away from the metal.  This was the same through all the
> wires.
>
> The question is...
>     Should the spark be the same lenth from the coil wire through all
>     the spark plug wires?
>     And if not does barely a milimeter sound like enough to start the
>     car?
>
>                                       Jay
> ...text deleted...

Jay,

Of course, the important thing here is the strength of the spark as
ultimately delivered to the tip of the plugs.

First step is when low voltage (12v) current to the coil is switched on,
then cut off.

As a result, the collapsing magnetic field will neccesarily induce an
electrical flow through the coil.

Herein lies the crux of the biscuit !

The electricity is produced by a coil consisting of quite a few turns of
wire. This produces a charge with a very high voltage that wants, badly,
to go back into the coil. It must go through ground in a properly
working electrical system.

The trick is to keep as little of it from leaking out as is possible, on
its journey to the plugs.

This means clean, dry, undamaged insulation on the plugs, wires, coil,
cap and rotor. The cunduction path the charge takes must be unbroken,
else some of its energy is used up jumping little gaps.

Hope this helps.

Ron

88 16V

 ~`__