Re: A bad scirocco day (me three)

I might as well add my experience today.  First let me offer
condolences to Jay, Levin and Lee.

Some of you know that my job includes traveling around the area in my
car a lot.  Today I was out on a call and went back to the branch so
the guy I had with me that I was training could get his car.  Our
last call was on the way home so I didn't want to bring him back.

The car was running normal, that is just fine.  I pulled in the lot
and parked it, then we went in to do a few things before leaving in
our cars.  The new guy was ready before me so I told him to head down
the road, as he doesn't drive the way I do.  I figured I'd catch him
before he got there.

I went out to leave and turned the car over.  It spun very easily but
would not start.  I got someone to turn the key as I observed the
timing belt thru the cover.  Of course, it wasn't spinning.

There I was, 2 1/2 to 3 hours from home with a minimum of tools and
both my manuals (Bentley & Haynes) at home.  Luckily, one of the guys
ran me to a nearby parts store that had the belt and a Haynes so I
could figure how to line the thing up.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the hail storm that had coated the area
just before the car puked.  Plus the fact I was in dress clothes and
had no spare clothes except for a grubby jacket with a hood.

Anyway, I managed to fumble thru it and got it on and the most
amazing part was that it started right up first try!  Of course, the
covers are not on, as I didn't realize that I needed to remove the
pulleys from the crank sprocket before removing the crank.  BTW, with
only a 3/8 ratchet I had to resort to adding an extension from a
hydraulic jack to it and cranking the engine while letting the
extension push against the lower control arm to break the big bolt
free.  I just hope I got it tight enough with someone sitting in the
car and holding the brake with it in gear.

Anyway, I was done a little after 8 and it ran fine all the way home.
I made it home by 10, at least there was no traffic, so it cut the
commute by an hour at least.   Oh yeah, I also got the power steering
belt to put on cuz it was stretched  pretty good.  Of course, it was
too small.

I ruined the shirt and pants I was wearing and am beat to hell and
going to bed.  The good news is it's running just fine and I only had
to lay out $37 (VW dealer wanted $30 for the belt alone).  The guy
who helped me and ran me to the parts store has a rabbit, so I'm
giving him my extra manual.

I would hope this was a day to get most of the list tragedies done
with in one shot.  Must have been an early April Foll's joke.

Keep your fingers crossed  :)

Rick
Richard.Lackner@entex.com
mariners@pugetsound.net
85 8V Wolfsburg, black
Oak Harbor, WA
(on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound near Seattle)