Re: Engine Swap? Should I do it?

At 10:58 PM 3/31/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Well, here's what I'm running against:
>
>- Just bought an '81 Scirocco S with a stock motor.  I'm going to be keeping
>this car.
>- Need to sell my '81 Scirocco, but it has a strong 1.8l 8v GX engine
>w/Neuspeed Throttlebody and honed Intake Manifold.
>
>Should I:
>
>A.  Swap the throttlebodies, get a reducer from Neuspeed so I can put the
>Neuspeed TB on the EX engine?
>B.  Same as A, but hone the intake manifold so I can bolt the Neuspeed TB
>straight on?
>C.  Keep the Neuspeed TB on the GX, but swap intake manifolds?
>D.  Swap the EX out, and put the GX in, and then put the EX into my non-S
>Scirocco?
>E.  Do nothing.
>
>- How much would a shop charge to do item D? (swapping in and out of two
>cars).  How many hours does this involve?  I will be keeping the trannies in
>the respective cars, so these don't need to move over.
>
>- The S has AC, and I would like to keep it.  What's involved in swapping to
>ensure that my AC will still work?  Do I have to get it purged, have the
>engines swapped, and have the freon put back in?
>
>Time is a factor.  I can't be without a car for longer than a week.  Money
>may be a factor too.  I would hate to resort to option E, but unless I make
>a decision soon, I'll have to just sell the non-S as-is.
>
>HELP!!!!
>
> *  Donovan Porter - dporter@hevanet.com - 81 VW Scirocco, performance *

        Before you do anything else.. Does your car have the EGR valve in
it?  If it does then take out the restrictor in the throttle body and that
will give you more umf.         Or just get out the ole' Dremel and match
port the Neuspeed TB to the existing intake plenum.
        If you really want the Neuspeed throttle body then sway manifold and
TB from the other car..
        Worry about engine swaps when you can afford the down time..

					DOM!
					1980 VW Scirocco S in DM
					1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
					1986 Kawasaki 600 Ninja