The infamous odometer problem

In my 85 Scirocco, I have the well known problem of intermittent
operation of the odometer. Actually, the last 4 months the odometer has
not registered a single mile. Normally it began to operate 100% when the
temperature dropped below 70-75, but not this time.

I took it apart, and looked at the rec.autos.vw FAQ, where I thought
there was a detailed description, but all I found was: "the gear that
drives the 1/10 mile is split; glue it with epoxy". Very vague. Which
gear? The gear directly linked to the 1/10 mile, or one of the gears that
connects the speedo cable receptor to the odometer?

The rec.autos.vw.watercooled would probably be the best place to ask
this, but for some strange reason I can't post there. So I am hoping that
someone from this list has dealt with or knows about this problem and can
give me some more details on what to look at. I can see no split gears in
my speedometer (I took the face plate off, too). I am beginning to think
it is simply a case of the speedo cable not engaging properly inside the
speedo receptor in the back.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Ilias

ps: another question, related to the heater control unit operation, for
85 and 86 8V owners: when you place the selector lever to "HEAT", is
there any air at all coming out of the center vent, or is it completely
channeled to the foot area? Mine lets most air towards the foot area, but
also some towards the center vent (which means some of it goes to the
center vent, and some of it to the defrost holes towards the windshield),
and I am wondering if that is ok (my friend's Jetta --identical heater
controls-- completely shuts off air flow from the center vent).