Re: The infamous odometer problem

At 12:58 AM 9/30/96 -0500, you wrote:

>In my 85 Scirocco, I have the well known problem of intermittent
>operation of the odometer. Actually, the last 4 months the odometer has
>not registered a single mile. Normally it began to operate 100% when the
>temperature dropped below 70-75, but not this time.
>
>I took it apart, and looked at the rec.autos.vw FAQ, where I thought
>there was a detailed description, but all I found was: "the gear that
>drives the 1/10 mile is split; glue it with epoxy". Very vague. Which
>gear? The gear directly linked to the 1/10 mile, or one of the gears that
>connects the speedo cable receptor to the odometer?
>
>The rec.autos.vw.watercooled would probably be the best place to ask
>this, but for some strange reason I can't post there. So I am hoping that
>someone from this list has dealt with or knows about this problem and can
>give me some more details on what to look at. I can see no split gears in
>my speedometer (I took the face plate off, too). I am beginning to think
>it is simply a case of the speedo cable not engaging properly inside the
>speedo receptor in the back.

My speedo went out, and it was this gear.  It is fairly flat, roughly the
thickness of a quarter (It hasa been a while since I did this though).  I
believe it was on the end of a metal shaft, fairly easy to pop off and
replace.  This too may be a little vague, sorry.

>Thanks,
>
>Ilias
>
>ps: another question, related to the heater control unit operation, for
>85 and 86 8V owners: when you place the selector lever to "HEAT", is
>there any air at all coming out of the center vent, or is it completely
>channeled to the foot area? Mine lets most air towards the foot area, but
>also some towards the center vent (which means some of it goes to the
>center vent, and some of it to the defrost holes towards the windshield),
>and I am wondering if that is ok (my friend's Jetta --identical heater
>controls-- completely shuts off air flow from the center vent).
>--
I believe that your vent valve may be partially stuck.  My center vent
closes completely when you have it to HEAT, most flow coming from the floor
while a trickle of heat goes to the windshieild.  DEFROST is just the
opposite of this (floor has a trickle while the window gets most of the heat).

David

             Original Equipment Marketers

   Serving owners of Volkswagens, Porsches and AUDIs
   with Original Equipment and Aftermarket parts at
                Discount Store Prices.

 Techtonics, Autotech and soon to come, New Dimensions

         diutley@telepath.com.....405-364-2102