Re: The infamous odometer problem

        I had what is probably the same problem in my currently not running
'81 S.  When the temp went up, it would stop registering mileage.  I found
a cracked gear (red plastic?) which I superglued only to find out that the
problem was still there.  I finally traced the offending gear to be one of
the metal ones (I'm not sure where anymore since it's been a long time).  I
took the gear off and scraped the inside surface of the gear and also the
shaft to increase the grip, and voila! no more odometer problems.

        I guess I should mention that I was able to find the bad gear by
putting the whole speedometer into an oven that was in the lab that I was
in.  Then while it was warm, I'd turn the input shaft and see which gear
was slipping.  You could probably do the same on a warm day or with a
household oven.

Hope this helps, benton------

p.s. any idea of the ratio of Mk I vs II cars on this list?

>In my 85 Scirocco, I have the well known problem of intermittent
>operation of the odometer. Actually, the last 4 months the odometer has
>not registered a single mile. Normally it began to operate 100% when the
>temperature dropped below 70-75, but not this time.
>
>I took it apart, and looked at the rec.autos.vw FAQ, where I thought
>there was a detailed description, but all I found was: "the gear that
>drives the 1/10 mile is split; glue it with epoxy". Very vague. Which
>gear? The gear directly linked to the 1/10 mile, or one of the gears that
>connects the speedo cable receptor to the odometer?
>
>The rec.autos.vw.watercooled would probably be the best place to ask
>this, but for some strange reason I can't post there. So I am hoping that
>someone from this list has dealt with or knows about this problem and can
>give me some more details on what to look at. I can see no split gears in
>my speedometer (I took the face plate off, too). I am beginning to think
>it is simply a case of the speedo cable not engaging properly inside the
>speedo receptor in the back.
>
>Any ideas out there?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Ilias