Re: Euro-lights/city lights/fog lights/exhaust manifold

At 06:23 PM 9/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
>2)  Thanks to Shawn Meze for settling the fog light debate.  In case you're
>wondering how to get an OE fog light switch, you can order them from various
>after-market cats., or go the the junk yard and get one cheap. (that's how I
>got mine)  As for the one-sided parking light question, my dad's US spec
>Porsche has them, so I guess it depends on the car manufacturer.

I did?? OK, cool......

>4) My Scirocco is an '85 model.  I think these models came with the single
>outlet exhaust manifold, correct me if I'm wrong.  I was wondering what would
>be the best way to upgrade. A) go to the dual-outlet (Jetta style) with a
>TT-downpipe, or B) get a header setup.  I know the headers supposedly crack,
>but is it a real problem?  With the header pipes, I could save the weight of
>the cast-iron manifold, so I'm in a dillema.

The easiest way to tell is to LOOK at the manifold. You can easily see the
dual outlets comming off the bottom. If you have the nasty single outlet
manifold then you will have 2 C-clamps holding the downpipe up! The manifold
doesnt weigh that much really. In drag racing terms (I hope this makes
sence) 100 lbs equals 1/10 of a second. So to inprove your cars performance
in weight alone, you gotta shave a lot of weight to make a difference.
knowhaddaImean?
I had a cheap set of Monza headers on my 82' Rabbit 5 years ago and up until
it got totaled, that system worked fine, no cracks at all. It all depends on
your system having a flex pipe or one of those round connector pipes with
the dual bolts with the springs so it will be allowed to flex.
Then again, my current TT exhaust has no flex in it at all and my system
hasnt cracked yet either. (Knock-Knock-Knock-Knock!)

Depends on the car......

Shawn