All Sorts of questions

Ok I hope the subject didn't scare everyone off, Thanks for reading.

1st question.

I bought some Boge Turbo Shocks and struts along with Eibach springs.
While driving today something just wasn't right. Then I noticed a
squeaking and bad ride.

I opened up my hatch to see my shock was comming through the back shock
tower. I had a friend of a friend installmy shocks and struts really
cheap and now I can see why it was so cheap.

I took the car out to my regular mechanic and he said the retaining clip
is missing. Next I called Wolf Sport since I bought the shocks from them
and they said this is common and it had something to do with the washer
being put on wrong? How can a washer be put in wrong? I've looked around
for the clip and I can't find it anywhere. WS said to call them back in a
few days since they didn't have the clips. Another thing I noticed,
Instead of having a nut on the affetced shock there are two small nuts on
top of each other unlike the other side.

Number 2.

My euro side markers are kind of strange. On the one side it looks like a
large reflextor about 4 inches long and on the other side it looks like a
 small 1 inch reflector. I really think that they are not stock. In fact
I think some punk just slapped on a regular reflector on the one side.

The other small "side marker" does appear to have a bulb in it but
neither of them light up. I have never seen another scirocco with side
markers since sciroccos are pretty rare around here. SO I have nothing to
compare it to. Ideas?

3rd question.

I have written in here before about my A1 GTI. I am considering getting a
1.8l motor hydrolic lifter motor from wolf sport. I can't find out who
wrote it but someone in this list did this to their GTI without a knock
sensing ignition. The guy at WS said I need a knock sensing ignition, but
my mechanic and at least one person in this list disagree.

My mechanic says always use Premium gas and I would be OK. He said he
would do a similar setup to what he has in his Rabbit Pickup. I drove it
and it was pretty fast. Weber Carb, Header sport exhaust and 1.8l What
problems if any could I see without a knock sensing ignition.

Thanks for all the help.