Re: painting bumpers

At 11:52 PM 9/12/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anybody painted their bumpers (or had them painted professionally).

Here's what you need to do, and it all has to be done to get good
results. I'm assuming that they are the stock textured plastic finish
now:

1. Wash thoroughly with dish soap & rinse.
2. Dry.
3. Clean with prep/degreaser (SEM makes one especially for plastics)
4. Prime with flexible primer. SEM also makes this in spray cans, or
flex additive can be added to conventional primer.
5. Paint. Again, SEM makes a few colors in ready to spray flexible
paint, like black. For other colors you will need to get standard automotive
paing and add flex additive.

Notes:

Use quality paints such as SEM, PPG, etc from an autobody supply shop,
no WalMart specials!

Flex additive is very important. Without it the paint could pop off when the
bumper is slightly flexed.

Proper surface prep is very important.

If you have any questions email me. Hope this helps,

Mark
Adirondack Auto Brokers
Phone (518) 882-6534
Fax (518) 882-1914