Re: painting bumpers

At 11:52 PM 9/12/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anybody painted their bumpers (or had them painted professionally).  On
>my '85 I've got a front bumper that is black as midnight (minus the
>few....uh.....scrapes that I've added) and a rear bumper that is that
>disgusting, faded, dirty looking grey.  Anyway on a recent trip to the
>insurance company the adjuster told me that he figured the front bumper
>looked as though it had been painted.
>
>I'd love to make my bumpers match.  It's a little like making sure you are
>wearing matching socks when you head out on a date - some things are worth
>doing!
>
>Anybody done it?  What's been your experience?

I didnt want them painted but when I got the car back, they were as Miata
blue as the rest of the car. I liked it after a while and recently when I
put on my Euro bumpers, I kinda miss the blue on the bumpers.
I got the poly-eurathane paint on the car and i think thats the way to have
it put on is by a spray gun. Dont waste your time with spray cans, it will
definately peel off! After blasting at Buttonwillow one weekend (Yup the
weekend the pics of my Scirocco were taken on the New Dimentions web page
titled, Blue Scirocco) I had the front left part of the bumper peeling a
little bit so I took it back and they repainted the whole car again. I love
that peeling waranty!
You could always take the bumpers off and take them to a paint shop and get
an estimate on having them done to match the color of your car, or just
black as it sounds like thats the direction you want them to be.
Hope this helped some......

Shawn