Re: Scirocco for the Winter?

At 12:35 AM 9/2/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Scirocco lovers,
>	The time is coming for me to put away my cars for the winter.  As
>you can see from my sigs, I live in Montreal, Canada where the winters
>can get pretty harsh.  I decided to buy a winter car this year and am
>seriously considering a Scirocco.  I would like a series I 'rocco but
>have heard about there rust problems.  Would it be able to stand a
>Canadian winter.  Which Scirocco do you experts recommend?  I am looking
>for an inexpensive, reliable (considering its age) ride.  Can I find one
>for under or close to 1000$ Can.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank-you
>
>      ****************************************************************
>      * VW GTI - THE ULTIMATE HOT HATCH * Fiorenzo Vetrone           *
>      *       1991 GTI 16V (RED)        * f_vetro@alcor.concordia.ca *
>      *       1994 GTI 8V (BLACK)       * Concordia University       *
>      *         Driver Hired!!          * Montreal, Canada           *
>      ****************************************************************

Hi,

        I also live in Montreal (and go to concordia university, maybe i've
seen your cars?!?), i can tell you that driving a scirocco in the snow is a
blast. I have a 86 8v that i've driven for the past two winters. Last summer
i put on neuspeed lowering springs with boge pro gas shocks, and i haven't
had any problems with road clearence in the snow (no skirts on the car).
with these springs though, the tail of the car swings out alot easier than
before (but it's very controllable , which is fun). I was using pirelli p190
snow tires, they grip very well. My car corners quite well in the snow, but
braking isn't as easy. Starting the engine in sub zero hasn't been a problem
either. I'm planning on putting my car away this winter though to start
fixing it up (it's starting to rust a bit). so I'm also looking for a second
rocco for the winter (cheap).

Nigel Heron.