Re: Interior noise & miscellaneous.....

At 03:12 AM 9/1/96 -0700, you wrote:
>2. Wobbly seats - I've replaced the four plastic runners that fit on the
>seat posts running inside the seat bracket and my seats still wobble front
>to back.  By wobble I mean that the front of the seat will lift as much as a
>quarter of an inch.  Is this normal or is there something I can do to
>rectify this little problem.

I just did this today.  In addition to the runners you mentioned, there is one
gasket that sits at the front of the seat on the release assembly.  It looks
like some sort of mouthpiece when it is new in your hand :)  After replacing
the 3 pieces per seat, they are stable at the base altough the seatback
rocks a little.  I hope to have new(er) seats before this is seen as a real
problem.  BTW, the front gasket was completely deteriorated on mine.

>3. Driver seat won't fold forward - the cable inside the seat has snapped so
>that lifting the handle doesn't do anything.  Does anyone have experience
>removing the cloth from the seat frame?  Can it be done without destroying
>everything?

I have only gone so far as to repair/refashion the end of the cable at the
release, which is where mine was broken.  As far as the seat covers, you
would probably want some pliers. ie hog-ring, to do this job.  It should not,
however, fall apart if you dismantle it.  Keep in mind that upholstery is
an art - I for one find it more difficult than an engine swap :)

>4. Road and engine noise - while I love to hear my car, it seems I'm the
>only one among those who ride in it!  I'd love to hear suggestions on
>reducing road and engine noise.  Soundproofing on the firewall?
>Sound-deadener for the floor?

As you may know, the carpet is not TOO hard to remove once the seats
are out.  There should already be some insulation on the kick panels,
firewall, and on the floor in front of the seats.  I think the floor under
the seats is bare, though (was on mine).  I was thinking of insulating the
doors, myself.  But this looks like it would be a toughie.  Under the hood,
look for bad motor mounts and strut tower bushings.  Also check those
front wheel bearings...

Miles Lott (http://www.insync.net/~milos)
A.A.S. E.E.T./SBE BCST ENG

KTXH Ch. 20 in Houston, TX - home of the
Rockets, Astros, Aeros, Terror