Interior noise & miscellaneous.....

Hi fellas.

I've been lurking for a while on the list - learning about my '85 .  Let me
start by thanking everyone who contributes their experience by responding to
queries.  I know I learn something just about every day - so thanks.. I've
got limited experience doing automotive repairs but I'm getting braver with
every one :)

After finding and fixing the sources of the infamous VW passenger waterpark
(windshield gasket and non-flush passenger door), I've decided to focus on
the interior of the car.

1. Sunroof handle - there is a recepticle bolted into the headliner that
would seem to be the place that the handle is supposed to sit in.  Is the
handle suppose to be loaded with a spring that pulls it up and into this
recepticle when not in use?  Mine just hangs down and rattles.

2. Wobbly seats - I've replaced the four plastic runners that fit on the
seat posts running inside the seat bracket and my seats still wobble front
to back.  By wobble I mean that the front of the seat will lift as much as a
quarter of an inch.  Is this normal or is there something I can do to
rectify this little problem.

3. Driver seat won't fold forward - the cable inside the seat has snapped so
that lifting the handle doesn't do anything.  Does anyone have experience
removing the cloth from the seat frame?  Can it be done without destroying
everything?

4. Road and engine noise - while I love to hear my car, it seems I'm the
only one among those who ride in it!  I'd love to hear suggestions on
reducing road and engine noise.  Soundproofing on the firewall?
Sound-deadener for the floor?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris.

cfiddes@direct.ca