Re: Fitting Audi gauges into scirocco (Ryan read this)

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> The install the 3 gauge panel, I think I've outlined the basic
> instructions, if your wanting to install it in the ashtray/oil
> temp position, you'll prob have to cut off a lot more of the
> bottom of the panel. hooking up the gauges, oil temp is same as stock,
> and you'll need to buy a 5bar oil pressure sender..My g/f bought me one,
> but being how mechanically inclined she is(and though i TOLD her 5bar)
> she bought me a 10bar sender which doesnt do me a damn bit of good.

I am surprised you haven't switched to a 10bar sender, since that 5bar
unit always maxes out as soon as the rpms go high. Wouldn't a 10bar
sender be far more indicative of the behavior of the car?

> for them voltmeter or ammeter, whichever it really is, I actually hooked
> it to the ashtray light because It gives a more true response on how much
> load I'm drawing when my stereo is on and thumping.

Hmmm, I am a little confused on that. If you really want to know the
voltage at your battery's poles, you hook your v-meter there. If you hook
your v-meter at some distance from the poles, say after a few
instruments are inbetween, then there is a drop in voltage due to the
resistance of the wires that go from the battery poles to the spots you
have hooked up your v-meter at. Hooking the v-meter leads at the batt.
terminal will still give you the 'wiggle' of the v-meter needle as your
bass blasts away, because the stereo will demand more current, but the
total resistance of the circuits hooked up to the batt. terminals will
remain the same, correct? In my way of thinking, the fluctuations in V
will be the same no matter where you hook up your v-meter, but if you
hook up the v-meter away from the batt. poles, then you will show a
less-than-actual average V for the battery. Maybe someone in here has
actually tried more than one v-meter mounting spots and can tell us more.

Also: I am still a little iffy on how the additional two instruments will
fit in the ashtray slot. Those come with the metal brackets that they
bolt onto, right? How will the metal brackets be fastened/mounted on the
space where the ashtray used to be? Cutting holes in the back for wires,
etc. is no worry, but I wouldn't want the instruments to be rattling
inside their slots. I assume they won't be rattling up front --because of
the 3-hole instrument panel-- but what about their rear ends? Won't they
be moving around?

Ilias