RE: VDO Gauges

My car doesn't have a gauge fitted next to the ashtray, just a blanking
plate.
So here's question one.
How much do I need to cut away (ie the divider between the ashtray and the
gauge hole) in order to make these gauges fit. Do I need to cut out the
back of
the ashtray housing to feed the wires through ? What's the best way to fix
the
new panel (which has no fixings itself) ? OK so that's three questions !
I would just measure the hole over the plug and saw out a round hole, as
far as the ashtray is concerned, I believe you will have to cut out a
significant portion.  I don't think the taper in the astray opening will
allow you to slide the guages in.  I did this so long ago I can't remember
how much I had to cut.  I've since got a net console and gave the guages to
my brother.

My engine is a non-injected 1800 EX with hydraulic tappets (is this a term
you US boys use ?). Consequently
I don't have any of the sensors fitted as standard which will drive the
gauges.
Genuine VDO senders are mighty expensive - have I any other options ?
We call  "hydraulic tappets", hydraulic lifters".  If you want to save
money you probably have to go back to the yard and get the senders for
those guages.  If they have VDO part numbers, you might be able to source
the senders from a VDO supplier.

Just for more info, the gauges I have are a voltmeter, oil temp (170
degrees C)
and an oil pressure gauge (5 bar). The voltmeter doesn't need a sender, and
seem to have a blanking plug on top of the oil filter housing which will
take
an oil temp sensor. My main problem is the pressure sender. My existing one
will just drive the buzzer, but I don't know where the best place is to
site.
I mounted mine on the side of the head, above the water outlet going to the
heater core.  Probably the most expensive VDO sender you could buy is the
oil pressure switch with the dual sender.  I used this on my Corrado and
seems to work fine.  One lead to the guage, and the other goes to the
buzzer.  I asked ND about the optimal location for the pressure switch and
they said "depends on what you want to read"  end of conversation.  They
weren't much help but, I guess if you placeit on top of the oil filter
housing, verses the side of the head you are reading two different oil
pressure situations.  Maybe others can expand upon this.

Rodney Noriel

the sender and I don't know if senders are interchangeable etc etc.

Any advice is gratefully received !

Sean Conway

(Manchester, UK, 1990 GT2)