Re: <Was Wheel refurb.> Allignment Mat-chine, man.

On  5 Oct 96 at 2:53, Shawn Meze wrote:

> Is that so? Neato! Tell me, does that machine have any kind of soft
> supports or padding at the point of lifting? Why does it lift the
> car to do an allignment? I would thin it changes the geometry of the
> chassis and give false readings? That would explain my +2 degrees of
> chamber on my first allignment! I do them myself now.....

I used to use a Hunter alignment machine (in a previous life) and the
reason for lifting is to install and calibrate the alignment head.  I
always used wood blocks on top of the jack to distribute the load as
described by many here when aligning front wheel drive cars and
others with wek lower arms.  The +2 camber was the result of a negligent
mechanic, not the equipment :)  My bet is he didn't tighten the bolt
properly on the strut..........

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
'85 Scirocco 8V