RE: Exhaust Systems???

At 08:03 PM 11/27/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Don't know about that, Shawn.....got aluminized pipe on my GTI, it is
>starting its second winter (third?  who knows...) and it looks fine.  If I
>lived in Mass or Vermont, I'd consider SS, but CO uses no salt - my
>aluminized pipes are still silver, the welds are barely rusting.  A friend
>has a 5 year old aluminized exhaust on his 510, no problems.  SS is
>undeniably better, but I don't think aluminized is that bad - my exhaust
>cost $170, parts and labor, cat back.  Flomaster muffler, 2.5/2.25" pipe.

Really, you have that system?? Everything ive heard about that system has all been really negative. Sounds like you really are satisfied with it.
Oh, I forgot to mention that my knowlege of the alumnized system is all hearsay! This could be another scenerio kind of like when everybody was telling me how dangerous it was to run a scirocco with a rear 28mm swaybar an
d no front bar. I did it (I didnt have the hardware to install the front bar at the time.) and noticed how much improved the handeling was. The reality of it was nothing like how they were pounding into my head it was sop
osed to be like.  They were telling me it was going to snap on me and spin. NOT!! I even autoxed it this way and improved my times (Compared to the guys that were beating me, at the time) by 2 seconds with just the rear s
waybar. Sometimes we just gotta find out for ourselves......
Who knows, maybe the Alumnized system is the way to go for us budget minded people. You know, I just might buy one for our GLi instead of the SS and see how it goes.

>If it lasts 4 years, and the next one lasts 4 years, I'll be happy, lets
>say the second costs $200 - thats $370 and some inconvenience of having a
>second put on.  Ok by me!  If one can afford ss, and thinks the car will be
>around for years to come, it's great, but for those financially impaired,
>aluminized is a safe gamble in salt free areas, IMHO.  Just my 2c!

Yeah but, what happens after 4 more years? I will still have my SS system and you will be replacing yet another system. See, I look waaaaaaaay into the future. Thats just me. :)
I plan on having my car a really sickening long time. Especially since I just registered it and it only cost me $50.00! I can deal with that!

Shawn