Re: Is this a sign of bad alignment?

If the car drifts when you release the wheel, is usually a good sign
that the wheels are out of alingment.  However if you release the
wheel and the car goes straight BUT the wheel isn't straight means
that over the course of cars life past owners have brought the car to
garages and they put the car on thier "perfect" alignment computers
and screwed with everything.  Thus a car the goes straight but the
wheel is crooked.

Example, two years ago when I first bought my 16v it the car dialed
perfectly.  But then I bought new tires for it and the alignment went
to hell, so I brought it to the garage and the car never dialed
perfect again.  Although it does coast straight, the wheel is not.

                           Jay

VW Scirocco 1988 16v
VW Scirocco 1980