Scriocco speedometer etc...

The speedometer sounds like it is the needle moved on the gauge.  They are
supposed to sit a little below the stop, so when they are on right it has some
pressure.  if someone had it apart for something and put it on the stop w/out
pressure you could see some speed change.  That probably wouldnt make up for
more than 10mph, but the tires could do 3-4 too.  I have never heard of the
electrical ground problem but it makes sense and could happen I suppose.

$400 cold start sounds rediculous, I have no idea what a new one goes for but
that is really high.  It could be the voltage to the valve as well, wires
burnt, pressure regulator, etc.  Maybe it was a quote for diagnostic and part,
set high so there wouldnt be any surprises

The alignment thing is kinda common.  On A1's the driver side tie rod is not
adjustable from the factory.  If someone hit something and bent the strut,
steering knuckle, a-arm, or the whole damn car it would off center the steering
wheel after an alignment.  The Tie rod end can be replaced with a adjustable
one to center the wheel with a good alignment, or you could just move the wheel
itself, but doing that results in different turning radius's to each side.  It
may be hard to remove the old end because it is threaded on really tight from
the factory, I had to torch one  to red hot and use two big pipe wrenches.
Consider yourself lucky though, early A2's needed to replace the whole tie rod.
Check for suspension damage on that side really good, but if you can't see it
it doesnt mean it's straight.  Those things are very touchy, I had to replace
the strut, steering knuckle, and control arm to fix my a2 GTi (damn jersey
barrier, no body damage even though I have no clue how).  Try to compare the
caster by measuring distance between the wheel and the wheel well in front and
back, it should be the same if not, something is bent.

hope this helps

Kyle
'86 8v GTi