Re: Urgent questions update

>At 02:31 AM 11/25/96 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>And my response is:     The needle was a bit jiggly but didn't jump around.
>>I took a look at it again Sunday and it wasn't just offset by 20 mph.  I
>>mean, it starts at 10 mph at rest.  I don't think the clutch is slipping
>>since it seems to start out OK and puts down power.  Could it be an
>>incompatible tranny?
>
>Possibly  someone was playing with the odometer. To "adjust" or repair
>the odometer you must remove the needle from it's shaft that the face
>plate with the numbers can be unscrewed. It the needle is not reinstalled
>in the exact same position it will read incorrectly, even at a stop as you are
>experiencing. That's one possibility anyway.

I could be wrong *gasp* but I think the '81 Scirocco's have speedometers
which start at 10 mph, i.e. the needle doesn't move from 0 to 10 mph.  I
guess since it tops out at 85 mph, the entire sweep is 75 mph!  Is there
any vehicle this side of a golf cart with a smaller range?

Once I get the car I'll try playing with cable and/or needle position. I
didn't check to see if the odometer reads fast as well which would support
the notion that something in the transaxle is causing the shaft to rotate
too fast.  I hope I don't have to swap my old speedometer/odometer for the
one in the new car since it's showing almost a quarter mil.  Oh well, I
guess I shouldn't count my repairs till my car hatches.  Anyway, you get
the idea.

b--------

YbOeSnHtIoDnA