Gas Meters

All that GM helpline stuff reminds me of one of the key differences between
German and non-German cars.  VW meters are very WYSIWYG.  If a gauge reads a
value, you damn well better believe it (unless you have something
mechanically wrong), and there's none of this fudging you see in other cars.
 Take the gas gauge for example.....

When the gauge reads empty - the tank is empty (what a concept!!!) unlike
American or Japanese cars where they give you an extra gallon or three.
 When I introduced my boyfriend (now husband) to VW's he liked them so much
that he bought this gorgeous little blue Golf (rabbit - but it was direct
from Germany so it said Golf), it had lots of extras that you couldn't find
in American Rabbits.  One day he calls me up complaining that it doesn't
run.  After going over all the worst case options, I asked him how much gas
he had... "Well, the gauge reads empty, but I should have another gallon or
so", says he.  I had to enlighten him.

ps. Someone mentioned that they had a shimmy going over 80 - there could be
a few things I could think of that makes this happen: 1: a slightly
unbalanced rim 2: a crappy tire 3: if you used that 'Inflate-a-flat' gunk 4:
CV joint going bad 5: ball joint going bad. I had #4 happen to me.  The best
way to tell if your CV's are good is to jack up the front of the car and
spin the wheel - if you get any backlash, it's toast.

a.