Re: sikkens paint

> 	I am wondering if you are planning to do this painting yourself or
> are you having it done proffessionally?  If you are doing it yourself tell
> me what you have gone through to do this.  What sort of a setup did you
> use and how much money and time did you put into this endeavor?  I need to
> repaint my car soon and I dont know if I want to paint it myself or have
> someone else do it.
> 	Also I am searching for a nice red to paint my car.  Any
> suggestions?

     I plan on having the car proffessionaly painted.  I did all the body
and prep work myself cuz that stuff is easy to repair if you dont like
your results.  As for time it really varys.  Gene and I with the help of
a few neighbors had the car stripped, sanded, bodywork done, primered and
sanded waiting for paint in 2.5 weeks.  I on the other hand, have been
doing my car myself, over the past year (School kinda interupts stuff like
that), started Sept 95 and it is now Nov 96.  Car is going into the shop
soon..  I am even going to drive up some parts today  WA-HOOOO.  As for
setup that i used, hmmm.... , I am not sure exactly what you mean by that
but I can tell you that I used a 6" orbital disk sander with 120/80 grit
to sand the car, except for those hard to reach places for which I had to
do by hand.  I filled any dents and sanded them with 80/40 grit.  Primered
with PPG Kondar, old tech but easy to shoot.  Sanded with 500 and that was
it.

     In shop supplies and related items, I spent about 300-400 bucks.  The
paint, labor, and use of a booth cost me 900.  So, the plan is to get a
paintjob that looks like 4500 for only 1300.  If I were to do it again, I
think I would have had the car media blasted instead of having to sand
the car all over.  This costs around 400 or so but it is worth the time
seeing as how it takes only a half a day to depaint the car.

     If bodywork and sanding dont interest you, or you dont feel
comfortable doing it, you can always save some easy money by dissmanteling
the car yourself, and putting it back together after painting.  At
roughtly 50 bucks an hour, a shop can charge lotso money for just taking
the car apart.

     As for a nice red, the only red type color that I thought might look
good on a rocco is the burgundy red metallic I have seen on the new ford
mustangs, really nice, and different too...  If you want more detailed
info on just about all the tricks I used to do the car, lemme know.

     Andre'  (P.S.  Interested in those wheels?)