Re: How fast are you?

>At 01:41 PM 11/15/96 -0800, you wrote:
>>Listies:
>>
>>        I think the fastest I've ever 0-60'd in my '81 S was around 13.5
>>sec on a slightly uphill grade.  I realize this is a pretty crummy time
>>even though I think I shifted right before redline (this was a long time
>>ago).  Anyway, my main question is how fast are you drag-racing types
>>shifting?  I don't think my shifts were taking much more than half a
>>second.  Are some of you guys down in the quarter second range?
>

>Im sure your car can do 0-60 much betterthan 13.5! Bring someone with you
>and let them do the timming for you. Ive tried to do it myself and its not
>easy.
>I think what your asking is, "how to get maximun acceleration? (max 0 to top
>speed, right?)
>It depends on a few factors. Depending on your cars power that it makes,
>depending on where on the rpm band it makes the most power and depending on
>what kind of gearing your car has will deermine the optimum shifting points
>of your car.
>For my car, my best performance seems to redline first gear into 2nd(6250)
>shift at 6000 into third and at 5800 into 4th and 5800 into 5th. This is all
>trial and error on my famous tsting hill. I measure the speed at a point on
>the hill (white line) and determined these to be my best shift points.
>Shifting times are 1/4 of a second. Being able to shift quickly and use the
>spooling down of the engine helps a little bit also. Ive been asked if I
>have an automatic in my car from the "quick shifts" I have been able to
>make. It does sound like it at times.

So Shawn (why not Shaun?), did you get those times with a passenger
(wo)manning  a stopwatch?  And how did you measure your shift times?  I
used my trusty Timex Indiglo Triathlon watch but it is a little tricky
since I think I had to shift to third before hitting 60 while stopping the
watch.

What is the "spooling down" effect that you talk about and how does it help
your times?

clueless but curious, benton-----