Re: How fast are you?

At 05:32 PM 11/15/96 -0800, you wrote:

>So Shawn (why not Shaun?), did you get those times with a passenger
>(wo)manning  a stopwatch?  And how did you measure your shift times?  I
>used my trusty Timex Indiglo Triathlon watch but it is a little tricky
>since I think I had to shift to third before hitting 60 while stopping the
>watch.
>
>What is the "spooling down" effect that you talk about and how does it help
>your times?
>
>clueless but curious, benton-----

So Benton (Why not Ben? Why not Bob? Why not... Dave?) I got those times
with a passenger who had a stopwatch. She watched the spedo and stopped it
by eye. We did it 5 times and the consensus was that 7.9 was most consistant.
Shift times is a guess bostly, but its really quick. Especially from 1st to
2nd. I have the short shift kit set on 70% reduction. its fast.
My gearing is so high, I only needed to shift once into 2nd to hit 60.

"Spooling down" is using the inertia of the engines rpm's to propell you
foreward. doing 6250 rpms in 2nd gear at 64 mph and doing a quick shift into
3rd, the rpms dont match and therefore the engine has to slow down to match
the gearing. In the process of slowing the motor, your car gets a quick but
short boost of speed. It helps continue the acceleration proccess.
Just another little trick to gain MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE! argh-argh-argh-argh!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and