Re: Clutch advise

Hi Rick:

At 08:55 PM 11/10/96 +0800, you wrote:

>OK...send em.  I found a place to get the flywheel turned on a
>Saturday.  Now I need to see what I'm getting into and determine what
>clutch to get.  I'm more than a little concerned about the crank seal
>needing pressing.  Hopefully the shop I found can do that too if I
>get stuck.  I don't have a vice....... if I was still back in PA this
>would be so much more simple.....

I have had luck VERY CAREFULLY installing the seal into the seal
carrier with it still on the engine. I made a ring of wood the same
diameter as the seal and get the seal all lines up and strait, then tap
against the wood to install. Care is needed to be sure it goes in
straight and also the the inner lip fits properly over the crank and does
not get pinched or folded in. Works for me.

>Shawn, you seem to be the only one who says that OEm clutched are not
>Sachs.  The FAQ says that Fichtel and Sachs make OEM and some shocks,
>so I guess you get overuled on this point.

VW has used both Sachs and LuK (or DuK, I forget) clutches. The
replacement Sachs units seem to be better quality than either of the
originals.  Part of the reason may be that most auto manufacturers set a
price goal when purchasing for production - they go to Sachs and say
something like "we need a clutch for an X pound car with Y hp, and it cannot
cost more than Z Dollars (or Marks). So, they get a clutch that
works but not necessarily the ideal clutch.

 The consensus is that the
>stock clutch is adequate, but I still wonder if either the sport or
>210mm would give much longer life and is worth the extra $$$.

Your car is an '85 right? So, you already have the 210mm clutch,
most all 1.8 engines had them from '83 on.  I've seen these stock
210mm ones go 200 kmi or more. The sport clutches are too
much money. If you need more than the stock one, and you probably
don't, you can use the stock 16V pressure plate with the stock
8V disc for more clamping force. Even this should not be necessary
though.

 >I do decide to use one of the optional ones, is there anything I need
>to know about?  Or are they simple bolt-on replacements?  The stock
>flywheel works with both?

Stock flywheel works with either stock or sport clutches of the same diameter.

>Mark, would you be kind enough to give prices on the other clutches
>to help me decide?  And do you carry the new flywheel bolts?

I'll email them to you. Did not intend to post prices the first time, just
forgot to cut and paste your address over the mailing list address...

Mark
Adirondack Auto Brokers
"Your VW/Porsche Parts Source"
Phone (518) 882-6534