Re:changing engine mounts

This is what I meant to send to the list but accidentally sent to Chris
Picot.  Sorry and hope this helps,
Chris Picot wrote:

> At 03:02 AM 11/8/96 -0500, Josh Clark wrote:
> >Oh yeah!  I forgot one very usefull thing that I did on my first attempt to
> >replace the passenger side mount:  That is to get regular hex bolts and
> >replace the allen bolts with them.  I seriously woder what VW was thinking
> >when they used the allen bolts in such a tight space.  The hex bolts can be
> >accessed much more easily with an open end wrench.  I think all this and
> >what Chris wrote should cover it.  Good luck
> >Josh
>
> Josh,
>
>     How well do the hex head bolts fit in the limited space?  I considered
> the hex head replacement, but it looked like there might be a clearance
> problem.  Does the hex head bolt fit flat against the surface of the mount?
> Can you get a *box* wrench on the hex head.  Personally I HATE to use an
> open end wrench to remove bolts that are tight.  All too often the wrench
> either spreads or rounds off the corners of the bolts.  I prefer box
> wrenches.  Also box wrenches give you a few more angles to get your wrench
> in the bolt.
>
> Chris

Hey Chris (and all),
I know the open end wrenches are a pain but the amount the bolts are
torqued there really shouldn't be a problem getting them off.  The
clearance issue is fine if you get the right size bolts.  Mine were from
a friend pile-'o-bolts from his Toyota.  Just try and find a bolt that
matches.  Did I send the message to you instead of the server?  I hate
my stupid email program!  Ah well, I'll send this to the list as well,
Josh