Re: gear speeds and RPMS questions

>>I have the tall tranny that would give me a top speed of 168 mph at
redline in 5th gear.

>The tranny my car had when I got it would have turned about 175 mph at
>redline in 5th. Assuming no aerodynamic issues of course.  I was cruising

>My current tranny will theoretically turn 157 or so.  Fastest I've been with
>it is 115 yet.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you guys (shawn/brandon) this, but I figgered
I'd point it out to the rest of the group.  Just because the tranny has
potential to 175mph doesn't mean you can hit it on a clear day and a long
flat road.  Nor does it mean that air resistance is the only issue, i.e. get
a kickass body kit and here I come 175mph!  The engine itself is the biggest
factor.  Say Arnold Swarzanegg..... and I each have the same Huffy mountain
bike w/ the same gear ratio.  His legs could probably make that thing turn
45mph, because their wider than my whole body.  I however will only hit
25mph, even though *redline* could be near 50mph, because I have like 0
power.  The moral?  Go out there and get those G60's everyone!

Chris Taylor
'87 16v Scirocco

West Ambler Johnston Hall
Virginia Tech Campus