Re: I love Poly strut bearings

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Andre Bjorkheim wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Chris Taylor wrote:
>
> > At 01:19 AM 11/7/96 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Before I put my 16v on the road I am getting Koni adjustables and Neuspeed
> > >race springs and figured since the shocks and springs are kinda tight and
> > >stiff polyeurethane bearings might be the way to go.  The only problem I
> > >have is that they are so expensive.  Are they worth it?  What I need to know
> > >is if they help with ride comfort and handling or just last longer?  Thanks
> > >a lot.  BTW Shawn, what are you using?
> >
> > This is where I draw the line.  I would NOT go there.  Stick w/ o.e.  If
> > you're REALLY serious, perhaps Heavy Duty, but I would REALLY recommend not
> > doing poly.  That would be too rough/too much stress.  Your strut assemblies
> > would probably come up through your hood after a month of city driving.
>
>     When I say I love my Poly Strut Bearings, I think I speak for both
>   Myself and Gene Fulmer.  I have had many people tell me that dont bother
>   getting the polyurethane strut bearings cuz it makes the ride too stiff.
>   Lemme tell ya, if you ride is too stiff, it aint cuz of your bearings.
>   I dont know about the roads in your area, but mine arent that bad,
>   albeit they have done more construction this summer than ever before.
>   As far as i know, if you have a sport suspension, the OE ones wont last
>   as long.  Trust me, I had to replace mine for that simple fact.  I
>   was and still am using Koni sport adjustable w/ Suspension Techniques
>   progressive rate springs and I wouldnt do without my poly strut
>   bearings.  Besides, when the guy on the phone botches the order and
>   offers me way less than what they should be, I sure as hell aint gonna
>   pass up that deal  :)  My 2 cents...
>

>     Andre'

     So far I have not had any problems with the poly. The OEM strut
bearings are crap. I bought a set, and within a week, both sides
had failed.

 When I say "failed" I mean that the rubber had ripped away from the
metal.

 The poly ones seem to be holding up. I've had them for over two years
now. I would'nt know much about ride quality because I have 16" wheels.
(205/40/16)  Granted, it's not like riding in my GF's Honda, but damn,
does it turn well, and has high-speed stability.

 Gene.